Wednesday, June 11, 2008

To Sleep or Not to Sleep - That is the Question?

So, as of today, I have a 4 month old. My son has gone through many milestones, he has smiled, he has responded to his name, he has giggled, he has eaten cereal, he has held his own toys and picked up his own toys, and he has as of yesterday rolled over from his belly to his back. However, the one thing that Will just has not mastered is sleeping through the night. Yes, by 4 months, an infant should be sleeping through the night. He will give me wonderful nights full of deep sleep wherein he will sleep from the time I put him down at night (usually around 9:30/10:00) until I wake him up in the morning (usually around 6:30 when I go to work and around 8:30 when I’m at home). However, the last few nights have felt like when he was a newborn, like I am at the hospital and every 3 hours the nurse is coming into my room waking me up taking my vitals and telling me it is time to feed my kid. Like clockwork, he has been up almost every 2 hours, he will start to cry, it starts softly and then gets louder and louder. The whole time I am imagining and hoping that I am just dreaming. But no, it is not a dream. So, I get myself up and go into his room and there he lies with his eyes wide open. Sometimes he will continue to cry until I pick him up. Other times, so help me, I will look down on him and he will actually smile as if to say, yes she heard me and she came! Last night was probably the worst. I probably got a total of 2 hours uninterrupted sleep. Today, I am feeling actually quite well, peppy even. Which makes me ponder? Can I actually handle less sleep, or am I runny on pure adrenaline? I think the answer to this question is purely adrenaline. It takes love to wake up at 2:00, 3:30, and 5:30 and still look forward to coming home to see that dear little one, even if it means facing a night like last night all over again.

1 comment:

sheri said...

It does take love for all that, but girl, it takes some sleep too! I am wishing you a good night's sleep tonight.